The stairs for the Magic Flute. Turned out well in the end even if I did fall out with the spindles when I was glueing it up. Learnt a few new tricks for marking out and measuring too. Was nice getting to build something that isn’t flat.
Been a while and im a bit behind but here is some of the Magic Flute set during construction. Been a mad rush to get it done and we are still miles behind, not our fault just the way it ended up.
Finally got around to putting these up. I’m really glad it looked so good. I’d like to give credit to everyone involved and all the hard work they put in and gave me since I really didn’t know what I was doing half the time.
It will be nice to get back to the workshop and build something. Although it will be pretty manic. Which as I’ve found is a bit more mad than on stage. I don’t know if that’s due to me having less responsibility but i did find the pace to be a bit more gentle than I’m used to.
(above) The lights used just on the truss.
So i started my elective this week. Electrics, if the pics didn’t give it away. Going into it not knowing anything I’ve already learnt loads, I have all the other students to thank for that seeing as the lecturers have been busy all week.
The show is Tommy, and is probably the biggest rig they have used for a production at the RCS. So a good time to get involved.
I almost had an on stage role during the show but have escaped that due to not being able to do a show, but it has worked in my favour. I now get to do a bit of everything and so hopefully learn a bit of everything.
The days are a bit different. Slower but and lots of waiting but with bits of manic running around. Also later nights but im not so fussed about that as long as i get a slightly later start.
Looking forward to week 2.
One of the doorways. There are 5 in total. We are using them in the production of Tommy.
Bit of a pain to make if im honest. Trying to get everything square and lined up so there are no gaps. We got better as we went on but quickly found out how a few tiny mistakes at the start can have a ripple affect.
Shots from the set of the first Shakespeare. The set is pretty small, just 5 flats. 4 will double sided with what you see above on one side and and the other there will be carved polystyrene to look like standing stones and the other with a hidden door in the panelling where an actor will sit.
It was good fun doing the panelling something a bit different that looks nice at the end.
There was some inconsistency in the plans we were given as there were several sets. It worked out ok though just a bit annoying at the start.
Things i would change would be the way the hidden door opens. I would have had a little mechanism to open it easier. I would also have tried to make the join of the door a bit more concealed.
I will post some pictures of the stones when they are complete.
Strike. The strike for panto. Was a bit hectic but great fun smashing everything up. We only had a day for it and that included getting the traps out and covered again. the only bad thing was when I fell out with the circular saw but I was getting tired and had been using it all day. The video is of the demon cave being carefully taken apart.